Pages

Sunday 26 May 2013

Living Local

I get a little feeling of sadness when I see a once bustling high street now dotted with empty shops that were once a big part of the community. This is usually followed by nostalgia of how things used to be, not in my lifetime of course but I imagine my lovely Grandma pottering around the shops, picking out her fresh produce and chatting to the locals as she went on her way. I also can't help but think of the local business owners who are struggling to make a living in this current economic climate. With all of the convenience of supermarkets, have we lost our sense of community?

So I have decided that we as a family will only shop in local independent retailers for one week starting tomorrow. After the week is over I shall make a decision whether or not to go a whole year avoiding Chain Stores and Supermarkets. This means EVERYTHING we buy including nappies, toiletries, food and drink and entertainment must be bought from Independent Retailers and in support of local businesses. I am really excited by this challenge but this does mean that I need to be more prepared and...ORGANISED!!

I should also add that we have not done a "Big shop" for a while and just to prove my point here is a picture of my very empty fridge.


As you can see, we have only a little milk, a couple of half eaten jars of something, left over pie, a random bottle of beer and half a tin of Hot Dogs. So we need to buy most things that will get a family of three (+ cat, dog and fish) through the week.

Stay tuned for daily updates!

Kirsty

Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @GraceHigham22